The Great Lakes Restoration Initiative is the largest investment in the Great Lakes in two decades.
A task force of 11 federal agencies developed a plan to put the president’s historic initiative into action. This action plan covers fiscal years 2010 through 2014 and addresses five urgent focus areas:
- Cleaning up toxics and areas of concern;
- Combating invasive species;
- Promoting nearshore health by protecting watersheds from polluted run-off;
- Restoring wetlands and other habitats; and
- Working with partners on outreach.
Here is a map (click on the picture below to view it in full scale) we created based upon the available data for all GLRI projects in fiscal year 2010 and 2011.
For more information regarding the GLRI, please visit the EPA website